cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: method longer than 65535 bytes
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:59:31 GMT

Michael Scheuner <scheuner@cos-data.de> wrote:
>java.lang.ClassFormatError: Code of a method longer than 65535 bytes
>	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
>	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
>	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
>	at
>org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.language.java.XSPClassLoader.loadClass(XSPClassLoader.java,
>Compiled Code)
>	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
>	at
>org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.language.java.XSPJavaProcessor.load(XSPJavaProcessor.java,
>Compiled Code)
>	at
>org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor.loadPage(XSPProcessor.java,
>Compiled Code)
>	at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor.process(XSPProcessor.java,
>Compiled Code)
>	at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.handle(Engine.java, Compiled Code)
>	at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.service(Cocoon.java, Compiled Code)
>	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java, Compiled Code)
>	at
>org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java,
>Compiled Code)
>	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java,
>Compiled Code)
>	at
>org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java,
>Compiled Code)
>	at
>org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java,
>Compiled Code)
>	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java, Compiled Code)
>
>The page itself is about 23k big, with three "xsp:include-file" directives.
>Has anybody a solution for this, or can somebody tell me, why this error
>occurs?

It occurs because of a limitation in the Java Virtual Machine Specification
- exactly as it says, code of a method cannot be longer than 64K.

You must mean <util:include-file> not <xsp:include-file> right? These
statements do not significantly increase the code size - and in fact help to
avoid the 64K limit problem you have encountered.

Make your page smaller in terms of number of tags - try moving some of it to
external file(s).

--
Robin Green
i-tao Ltd.