cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck ...@adolos.com>
Subject Re: Converting site
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2000 08:59:47 GMT
On Tuesday, August 8, 2000, at 11:51 PM, David Pettersson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm one of many in charge of a larger site with hundreds of Html documents,
> and we've been discussing a transfer to xml (since the documents are mostly
> articles for reading). However, there are a few obstacles that need to be
> overcome. They are:
>
>   -  Converting from Html -> Xml. This can be done by hand, but are there
>      any `smart' tools that can `figure out' that <h1></h1> is some sort

>      of title etc to do a rough translation?

Reading in non XML compliant HTML like <br> (without an end tag) is an
issue, but if you can convert your document from HTML to XML compliant HTML
(not to be confused with XHTML! - I'm sure I've seen references to
programs that'll do it and there may be a way of doing it in Xerces /
Cocoon that I don't know about) - then you can use Cocoon itself, or Xalan
directly to do the conversions.  You would just be mapping one XML file to
another.

>   -  Switch rendering type. I know it is possible to use different Xsl's
>      depending on the client, but does this code have to be written in
>      each Xml document (can it be included and still processed?) ?

This is perfectly possible in Cocoon, but it will be a whole lot easier in
Cocoon 2 (which hasn't been released yet and isn't ready for bigtime
realtime serving yet).  Having said that Cocoon 2 hasn't ben released, our
website is created on it (as static pages)!

I'm sure I saw a reference to one the other day on http://www.xmlhack.com,
or http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/.

> Those are our main questions. Hope they aren't to elementary. Any comments,
> either private or to the list are welcomed.

Hope this helps.

Stuart.

Stuart Roebuck, BSc, MBA                              Tel.: 0131 228 4853
Managing Director                                     Fax.: 0870 054 8322