cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Didier VILLEVALOIS <dvilleval...@techmetrix.net>
Subject RE: 64k limit (was: new version of the sql logicsheet under devel opment)
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2000 13:16:26 GMT
Robin Green wrote:
> >I think your problem is induced by the fact you inline all
> of the logic of
> >one page of your applications in one class.
>
> That's not correct. Look at some of the logicsheets. They
> call external
> Cocoon classes. And obviously DOM creation is inherently OO
> (and maybe shows
> why OO is not always so good!)

As you say *some* taglibs does this. But nothing or nobody
constrain you to do that. As pointed out Ricardo Rocha each
taglib could be a class embeding DOM creation. This is OO!!

> It is, but there are practical limits. For example, literal
> node creation is
> not easy to modularise because it refers to lots of local
> variables.

What local variables ? The servlet stuff ?
Parameters that need the *taglib object* needs is passed throught
the constructor or methods parameters. This could be mapped to XML
through a variable/parameter passing mechanism as in XSL. This fits
very well with attributes and elements.

> >Ok code snippets are reused because capitalized in taglibs. But the
> >produced
> >code is not. That's is too much inlining.
> >
> >That's why i looked in another direction : Embeding logic in
> stylesheets
> >and
> >not in producers. What i mean is compiling taglibs instead
> of sources !! To
> >do this we need an xsl->java transform similar to the xsp->java one.
>
> The trouble is XSL is not necessarily the best language for general
> programming tasks. E.g. there is no _standardised_ method for
> invoking Java
> methods. In general Cocoon does not want to rely on
> non-standard "hacks"
> like Xalan extension functions.

I think these are not hacks. XSP is more a hach than XSLT extensions.
The Java (and JS, C++) invocation mechanism of extensions will be
standardized. People in this list is just the one that could do proposals.

> Great fun, I was hoping to do something like that myself
> soon. Not to solve
> XSP problems, but in fact to speed up XSLT transformations.
> Can you put it
> up on sourceforge or something? I don't mind if it doesn't
> compile yet, no
> problem.

I'll try to put it this or next week. I'll notice the mailing list.
And in fact it doesn't compile yet :-).

> By the way Sun has said it plans to open source their XSLT
> compiler sometime
> in September.

I dislike Sun's approach. I think this is better to do it in XSL
for portability. The fact is we could learn a lot about how to
manage sorts... :-)

Thanks.
Didier.