cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Ilya A. Kriveshko" <i...@infoinsomniax.com>
Subject Re: 96 M memory for JVM still not enough, what can I do?
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2000 23:14:28 GMT
Well, here's what I found.

I created a (simple, but large) 1.6M XML file with about 50,000 simple
elements, then associated it with a (simple) stylesheet that would list all
the content of all the elements in an HTML table, and tried to fetch it
from the server. (I had to adjust the request timeout time on the server,
of course.)

Then, I kept monitoring the progress of the java process by sending it
-SIGQUIT every five seconds.

It took the following (approximate) amounts of time to do each task:

xerces parsing the document -  over 8 min.
xalan transforming the tree - about 1 min.
xerces serializing the tree - under 1 min.

I wouldn't be surprised if some XML document with a more involved
structure took over half an hour to parse.

I'd heard that Cocoon2 is going to use a different parsing method (I'm
not yet familiar with the fancy names,) say SAX instead of DOM.
[Disregard this statement if it doesn't make sense.]

All I can say is that with Cocoon1, you are stuck with the lousy
performance of the parser. Anybody wants to comment?

I wonder if there is a way to pre-compile XML documents into
a binary format, say for caching purposes. It wouldn't defeat the
purpose of XML, since the binary representation would be private
and temporary. It seems that that could be a way to improve the
performance of at least the performance of subsequent runs on
the same document.
---
Ilya

"Yao, Di" wrote:

> I managed to find a NT to run it, and from the taskmanager, I see the memory
> usage is about 214M.

214M for the JVM or for all the processes combined? You can
look at the amount of memory used by each process if you go to
the "Processes" tab.