cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: Dynamic WAP problems
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:15:27 GMT
Sebastien Koechlin wrote:

> Matt Coolidge wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone. I'm writing a WAP application. Basically, my XSP talks to the
> > database and sticks the resulting DocumentFragment into the output. I can
> > write an XSL stylesheet to make a WAP deck, with a card for each row of
> > data. But it's FAR too big if I do it this way; and WAP phones error out on
> > it.
>
> Welcome in the marvelous world of WAP :-(
>
> Currently, there isn't an easy way to split data without doing a query
> everytime. You can write a proxy with XSP, but it's really expensive.

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but..
Rick Jelliffe recently announced an application for serving XML
fragments (http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xml-fragment). To quote from his
email (mentioned at http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=706):

Fragserver is a Java Web Application designed for running on Apache
(Tomcat, Xalan, Xerces).  It gives two servlets:

  fragbody  retrieves a branch of an XML document, as specified using
an Xpath
  fragserver constructs a small Fragment Context Specification for the
same document and Xpath

For example, if I have the XML document http://www.example.com/a/b.xml
and I want the fragment  //c  (i.e, the first c element found and its
contents), then I can fetch the fragment body with
http://www.example.com/fragserver/servlet/fragbody/a/b/xml?xpath=//c
and the fcs with

http://www.example.com/fragserver/servlet/fragserver/a/b/xml?xpath=//c"

Possibly useful here; I'm not sure.