cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alex Muc <alex....@utoronto.ca>
Subject SQLTaglib and FreeTDS Driver won't work together
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2000 12:57:00 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to use the FreeTDS JDBC driver (www.freetds.org) to connect
to an Microsoft SQLServer6.5 from Cocoon 1.7.4 which is running on a
Linux machine.  I am having some difficulties getting it to work
properly.  Hopefully someone can help me out.

Whenever the SQLTaglib executes a query (for example: "SELECT * FROM
Questions") what happens is that the connection to the database server
locks up.  Analysis of the SQLServer indicates that the connection is
"blocking", ie. it has a lock on the object.  However, it never releases
the lock, the query never finishes, the results are never returned, the
only thing I can do is either kill the process in SQLServer or kill the
JVM running Cocoon.  The strange thing is that the exact same driver
runs without a problem when using JDBC calls directly (ie from other
Beans and what not).  There appears to be some problems with the
SQLTaglib in this regard.  I'm wondering if anyone has seen any similar
behaviour and, hopefully, knows of a work around?

Looking at the SQLTaglib code doesn't reveal anything obvious other than
that it uses just plain Statement.execute(String) instead of
Statement.executeUpdate/Query(String).  Could this be the difference?

Thanks for you help
Alex.