cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: cooperative session handling (was: Dynamic XML generation)
Date Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:17:00 GMT
At 01:14 +0200 22/07/00, Uli Mayring wrote:
>On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Donald Ball wrote:
>
>> ooh, that'd be clever. of course, are y'all using the session taglib from
>> your taglibs or talking to the session object directly?
>
>I'm talking directly, do you think I'm a whimp? :-)
>
>Seriously, I am wondering about the usefulness of the session (and some
>other) taglibs. I mean, if you make a taglib that just wraps the API
>methods, then you don't get anything new. Compare:
>
><response:send-redirect href="somewhere.xml"/>
>
>response.sendRedirect("somewhere.xml");
>
>I mean, what's the point besides aesthetic completeness?

A well designed TagLib lets a non-programmer (who is able to at least
understand the problem) effectively write a Servlet, just by using simple
XML Tags.

I think this is a very important benefit!

>A taglib should be like the util taglib, which incorporates a number of
>really useful functions, which are not available anywhere else.

I would rather deal with a few simple Tags than having Java Code exposed in
my XSP Pages (though this is nice too :).

Identify common functionalities, encode them as TagLibs and all of a sudden
the number of people who can use them grows outside of Java Programmers.

This is extremely empowering!

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre