cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Sitemaps and caching system
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2000 20:20:11 GMT
On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Alain Ketterlin wrote:

> I'm in a situation where I have XML and XSL files, and:
>
> - each XML file is processed with several XSL stylesheets
> - each XSL stylesheet is used on several XML files
>
> So I end up having a lot of small wrapper files to make connections
> between XML files and XSL stylesheets, using either external entities
> to include the data file, or even request parameters passed as element
> content to the stylesheet, which then uses document(...) to load the
> data.
>
> As far as I understand, Cocoon2 should solve the n-to-m mapping,
> allowing statements like "url U is file X.xml processed by xslt with
> stylesheet Y.xsl". Am I right, and should I switch to Cocoon2 now (I'm
> using 1.7.4 currently)?

yes, you understand correctly, but it's not ready for prime time yet. you
may want to help development and testing for cocoon2, but if you want
something for production use, i'd either stick with your wrapper files or
try using mod_rewrite and a simple XSP page to include the XML content and
generate the xml-stylesheet PI.

> My second problem is about performance. I have a bunch of XML->FO->PDF
> transformations, which take a long time. Would it be possible to ask
> Cocoon to save the pdf file somewhere, and regenerate it only if one
> of the source files changed? Something like `make' for offline page
> generation... Does the cache system cover such cases?

i can't recall if the cocoon cache covers all the way to the serialized
object stage... i think it does, but i've never played with FOP so I'm not
100% sure.

- donald