cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject RE: cache and performance
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2000 19:38:02 GMT
> > > Did you get some more specific information where the bottleneck is?
> > Frankly, I think it's our Firewall :)
> >
> > > BTW: Where should I place the connection definitions best? Is is
> > >      possible to established the connection when cocoon starts up
> > >      so I don't have to define and establish it in every XSP page?
> >
> > I don't think this is possible. However, someone wrote a connection pool
> > for cocoon.
>
> Hm... I always thought the connection establishing is the real
> expensive thing. Well, of course doing the query itself takes some
> time (depends of course what you query for! in other projects with e.g.
> php we did not have much problems since we haven't been dealing with more
> than 100 rows per result set)
>
> The point for me is... were am I supposed to tune... the database itself
> or should I try to set up a connection pool ... maybe not even using the
> cocoon sql processor and write a sql bean by myself?!

Brian Millet has been working to add a connection pool to the sql
logicsheet. we've been hampered a bit by the lack of a good quality pool
that's not under the GPL, but he's been working to both improve turbine's
pool and add support for it to the sql logicsheet. we're on the home
stretch now, expect something soon. we could actually release it right
now, but we'd have to distribute a forked version of turbine, which i'm
loathe to do.

- donald