cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Uli Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject RE: To contrib or not to contrib
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2000 12:25:37 GMT
On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> This one really scares me! ... Actually I'm not quite sure but does that
> mean a generated page cannot be over 64k in size?! (even less because
> there's
> also java code included?)

Much less, actually, there's quite a bit of overhead with XSP. How large
your XSP page can be depends a lot on how the XML tags are laid out. Every
XML tag in an XSP file produces overhead, so if you have only very few XML
tags, you can have more data inside them.

In my case, which may or may not be typical, I can have XML source files
of about 20KBytes, anything larger hits the 64K barrier. BTW, it's not the
size of the generated file that must be under 64K, but the size of the
populateDocument method. In that method all your XSP code is placed plus
a Java-conversion of the XML code in the source file.

It was suggested to me that the 64K barrier could be changed via an
undocumented command-line option to the JVM. For sure, I have not found a
single byte of documentation about this limit anywhere.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung