cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: another xsl:if question
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:41:33 GMT
"Tobias Rissler" <trissler@metris.de> wrote:
>i have a xml file with x data nodes which contain addresses. what i want to
>do now is to show all the names that are in this addressbook. that's no
>problem but i would like to have each name only once (if there are
>different persons with the same name) and that's where the problem starts.

This would be so much easier, in my opinion, if you put your data in a
database (not as XML, but as normal records and fields, or whatever the
jargon is for that this month), then use something like the SQL taglib to
get it out. Any relational database can select unique rows - it's easy.

For many things, DBMSs are better than XML processors. Don't fall into the
trap of thinking that everything possible should be done in XML! It's like
the old saying goes - when you have a hammer and a nail, everything begins
to look like a square peg in a round hole.

Hmmm... that doesn't sound quite right. ;)

--
Robin Green
i-tao Ltd.