cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mike Engelhart <mengelh...@earthtrip.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon working on MacOS with Tomcat and MRJ
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:01:59 GMT
on 7/25/00 2:58 AM, Ulrich Mayring at ulim@denic.de wrote:

> Jesse Reynolds wrote:
>>
>> Hi folx
>>
>> The Cocoon website says to post new combinations of platforms that
>> run Cocoon to this list, so here goes.
>>
>> I'm successfully running Cocoon on the following:
>>
>> OS:              MacOS 9 (PowerBook G3, MacOS 9.0.4, Macintosh)
>> JVM:             MRJ 2.2.2 (+ jBindery from MRJ SDK 2.2)
>> Servlet Engine:  Tomcat 3.1
>> Cocoon Version:  Cocoon 1.7.4
>
> Can you post installation docs? I was looking for a way to run cocoon on
> my home Mac, but didn't yet find one. However, I didn't know that Tomcat
> had an in-built webserver.
>
> Ulrich
Although Jesse posted the comment originally, I've been running Cocoon on a
mac for over a year and it's really easy to setup using tomcat.  Here are
the directions: (I believe MRJ 2.2.2 requires Mac OS 8.1 or higher, a
PowerPC and 40MB RAM but to run Cocoon I would recommend a lot more.

Download Tomcat v3.1, and Cocoon 1.7.4 to your mac.  after unzipping the
archives, add cocoon.jar, xerces.jar, and xalan.jar to your
jakarta-tomcat/lib directory.
Get the MRJ SDK v2.2 (also I recommend getting the latest MRJ (v2.2.2) which
is a JDK 1.1.8 compliant VM).  Run JBindery in the
JBindery:Tools:Application Builders folder.
In the command section you need to add these 2 fields:

Command:  org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat
Optional Parameters: startup

Click on the Classpath icon and click on the "Add .zip file" and add all the
jar files in the jakarta-tomcat/lib directory to JBindery. (To avoid the XML
parser conflict use the up arrows to move xerces to the top of the list of
classpath items.

Lastly, click on Save Settings and in the save dialog, make sure Save as
Application is checked and save the result to your jakarta-tomcat directory.

Running a webapp is the same as running it on any other server, just add
cocoon.properties to whatever WEB-INF folder you create for your webapp.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike