cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Tamara Cameron <Tamara.Came...@nbci.com>
Subject RE: Serializer for HDML output
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2000 19:05:24 GMT
Thanks for the guidance.  I have been looking into the serialization process
in Xerces, and trying to extend cocoon to include an HDMLFormatter.

Like you, I have reservations about investing too much time in HDML for the
reasons you suggest, but it has been a good way for me to begin looking at
the source code for Cocoon and Xerces.

--Tamara

-----Original Message-----
From: I-Chung Young [mailto:ichung@puma.mt.att.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2000 3:14 PM
To: 'cocoon-users@xml.apache.org'
Subject: Re: Serializer for HDML output

Hi,

	Based on my limited understanding, Serializer is
developed in Xerces. The current SerializerFactory only
allows XML/HTML/XHTML/TEXT. If you change the xerces,
then you could check how HTMLSerializerin Xerces is and
check HTMLFormatter in Cocoon to duplicate one. Or you
could check FO2PDFFormatter in cocoon and write your
own serializer on Document object.

	The problem I see is HDML syntax is even looser
than HTML regarding end tag. It may not be worth developing
it for this to-be-retired language. For a dirty hack, you
could treat HDML as text output and use TextFormatter in
cocoon. The advantage is it works (somewhat) The disadvantage
is all HDML tags (angle brakets) has to be enclosed in
<xsl:text><![CDATA[<]]></xsl:text> and
<xsl:text><![CDATA[>]]></xsl:text>

Hope this helps.
I-Chung Young