cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Henning von Bargen <H.vonBar...@Triestram-Partner.de>
Subject AW: Off-Topic: Is there any standard compressed ASCII format for valid XML documents?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:31:48 GMT
> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
> Von:	Thorbj√łrn Ravn Andersen [SMTP:TRA@stibo.dk]
> Gesendet am:	Dienstag, 11. Juli 2000 15:40
> An:	'cocoon-users@xml.apache.org'
> Betreff:	RE: Off-Topic: Is there any standard compressed ASCII format
for  valid XML documents?

> > > Why?
> >
> > Just because I cannot generate something else on the DB side
> > and because I
> > can not
> > put a compressor/decompressor between the SQL connection
> > (except -perhaps-
> > by using a VPN).
>
> How do you currently connect to the database?  Why can't you put other
services on the database box, so you can do your processing there?

The IT managers there decided to centralize all web-related services.
That's why the web server is in a different city then the db server.

> > Yeah, I discussed that with my customer, but the IT manager
> > there want all
> > web servers in one place.
> > The database is placed somewhere else several miles away.
> > I know that this makes no sense, but they want it that way.
>
> Then tell them they need a better Internet connection between the
machines.

I already did...

> > Ok, I'll give up.
>
> You could, but you could also create a XSL style sheet to unfold your
suggested table.  I don't think you can do the :1 tags though.

> > BTW, do browsers support displaying gzipped XML or HTML
> > files? I never tried
> > that.
>
> Some do.  Try with myfile.html.gz so the browser can autodetect the
MIME-type from the file extension in the URL.

Micro$oft IE seems to open a ZIP-Program like WinZip on most computers.