cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: HTML and XSL
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:25:16 GMT
Nacho wrote:

> Hola a todos:
>
> > Nägeli Margrit wrote:
> > >
> > > Good question! I dread the moment when I have to tell our
> > web designer that
> > > he will now have to style his pages in XSL instead of Dreamweaver.
> > >
> > > Maybe this should be a faq: "How do I tell my designer ...?" ;)
> >
> > If all you're doing is simple <xsl:value-of>'s and <xsl:for-each>'s,
> > then you can embed them straight into XHTML, and call the final thing
> > an XSLT stylesheet. Have a look at the example at
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#data-example. It makes XSLT a lot less
> > scary-looking :)
>
> But in this way, i'm able to put xsl:params and so on ? i have tried
> this at some point in past time , and we found that this way is far less
> usable than doing it in the "normal" way, as the way proposed is like
> make a <xsl:template match="/"> in the first line of document, bloking
> the pass of parameters from outside to the Stylesheet, are there a way
> to do this?

Hmm.. hadn't thought of this :) But I see the spec says:

"The allowed content of a literal result element when used as a
stylesheet is no different from when it occurs within a stylesheet.
Thus, a literal result element used as a stylesheet cannot contain
top-level elements."

and of course, <xsl:param> is a top-level element, so you're out of
luck.

--Jeff