cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon Vs. Cold Fusion
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:43:25 GMT
Ruud Prein wrote:

> Could anyone tell me the advantages of Cocoon to a product like Cold
> Fusion. Or could someone tell me what Cocoon can do but Cold Fusion
> cannot do (or the other way around). Having a programming background, I
> would like only the 'presentable' end result to be taken into
> consideration.
>
> I would be grateful is anyone could comment on that.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ruud Prein.

I think I can be qualified for this answer.  I spent the first 4-5 months
at my office writing a web application in ColdFusion.  The original state
of the project before I came on was a mess.  The application had a different
look and feel for each section of the site (depending on who the author
was).  It took a month and a half to get all the templates to look like each
other because the look of the page is inextricably tied to the code.

It took another month and a half to get the pages optimized so that Netscape
didn't have to spin it's wheels for 15 seconds once the page was downloaded.

After this period was over, I did a demonstration of Cocoon that put the
look on the site in a fraction of the time.  It was very easy to incorporate
logic separately.

The advantages of Cocoon are separation of concerns: the stylesheet, the XML,
and the Logic are able to be kept separate.  This results in more understandable
and readable code/templates.

In ColdFusion it is all connected in one huge mess.  I cringe everytime I look
at the ColdFusion code.  With Cocoon being a Java Servlet, has access to
everything that the Servlets have access to.  You would even be able to connect
to an Application Server to get EJBs and such.

The bottom line is for sites that have dynamic information, Cocoon is probably
better.  ColdFusion, while easy, encourages poor coding habits and does not
support good design.