cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] FP TagLib
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:04:49 GMT
Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> At 00:20 +0200 13/07/00, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >Jeremy Quinn wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> A preview release of the FP TagLib is available.
> >
> >FP.... hmmmm, using letter interpolation what about "FliP" as a name?
>
> >Just RT.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Before choosing a name, I want to think about the functionality.
>
> Some of the Tags are purely to do with XPath access to files, while the
> others are to do with logic around HTTP Method.
>
> What I am thinking is to split this TagLib in two.
>
> The HTTP Logic Tags could go into the UTIL:TagLib
>         (maybe there are other logic tests that would be useful too)
>
>         <util:if-post>
>                 post logic
>         </util:if-post>
>
>         <util:if-get>
>                 get logic
>         </util:if-get>
>
> While the XPath-File Access Tags could go into their own TagLib, giving it
> a clearer, simpler purpose.

Cool, I like this. Why not using the names

 <http:post>
 </http:post>
 <http:get>
 </http:get>

> What does not fit into this scheme is the <fp:redirect/> tag, it does not
> fit neatly into UTIL or an XPath TagLib, but needs access to Errors
> generated by the XPath functionality as a redirect should only happen after
> a POST with no errors.
>
> Hmmm.

Expect lots of info about this coming off this weekend. Giacomo, Ricardo
and I will be brainstorming at my place here in Italy.

> >> It's a kind of "pre-cocoon-donation" version, I'm interested to see if it
> >> runs on other's setups and if people think they'll find it useful.
> >>
> >> You can download it from here:
> >>
> >>         http://www.media.demon.co.uk/fp/fp.sit.bin      (MacOS)
> >>         http://www.media.demon.co.uk/fp/fp.zip                  (WIN)
> >>         http://www.media.demon.co.uk/fp/fp.tar.Z                (UNIX)
> >>
> >> Apart from the install files, there are basic dox, a sample site and the
> >> source code.
> >>
> >> There's a few issues to sort out before this could be included in Cocoon,
> >> namespace, tag names, package names, code quality, etc.
> >> It is difficult to tell at this stage which of these will change.
> >
> >Gee, I wish I had the time to try out all these juicy things....
>
> Download it, plug it in and run the sample, it will take you all of 10
> minutes :)

Wish I had 10 minutes these days...

> Top of my List
>
>         Get XSchema Validation working
>         Implement Fragment Templates for making new nodes
>         Re-implement Error Handling
>                 (I need some help with this, I never groked the "Java Way")
>         Implement logging
>         Documentation
>         Attractive (!!) samples
>
> Big questions
>
>         How to handle multiple languages? (content and error messages)
>                 A lot of the error messages come straight from Xerces
>                 Can you plug in multiple language error messages to Xerces?
>
>         Will this TagLib ever work with other data sources like SQL, LDAP etc?
>
>         How do you get detailed error reports from Xerces if it fails to validate
>         some XML using an XSchema?
>
> Next idea
>
>         This is going to sound mad!
>
>         XSP currently assembles Java Code to build Producers ....
>         What about a LogicSheet that makes custom Java Applets as XML Editors,
>         that communicate with Cocoon via XML/RPC?
>
>         There is an AWT LayoutManager called "HTMLLayout" that builds AWT/Swing
>         GUIs from HTML/XML ...

Mark was trying to do more or less this at one time.... mark?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.