cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: XP taglib and new cocoon site
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:29:51 GMT
Ed Staub wrote:

> So the user might type http://www.erehwon.com/neverneverland/foo.xml
> where 'neverneverland' is served by a servlet which passes on an
> HTTPServletRequest to Cocoon which reads something like
>
>      http://www.erehwon.com/cocoonville/handler.xml?input=foo.xml
> Look at the "fromServlet" example.  (I haven't tried it, either!)

This should work. What immediately comes to my mind:

- for every page you have an extra request to the Servlet, before the
page gets processed.
- you lose all caching
- the servlet could not only serve XML, it could also serve HTML or
other stuff (for those sites, that have mixed content or are in
transition from HTML to XML)

> Also, will the Cocoon2 sitemap provide this kind of capability without
> needing an external servlet?

I think that is one of the main points of the sitemap in cocoon2.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung