cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: To contrib or not to contrib
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:05:43 GMT
Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> I think I can explain this better when I have my TagLib released :)

entering stand-by mode ....  ;-)

> The XML file with TagLibs in only defines how the Producer is compiled.
> Runtime query args etc. are then passed to the compiled producer to extract
> the info I want from my data files to be passed on to my XSL.
>
> The XML/XSP file is just acting as a "view" template.
>
> You could have a showemail.xml view, a showoverview.xml view, etc. They get
> reused over and over, but show different stuff depending on the params.
>
> The actual data they show never needs to get compiled into the Producer.

Ok, I think I get it, you don't compile the taglib commands into XSP
pages, but into producers, right? That basically means that you have one
producer for each "function", i.e. one for showemail, one for
showoverview etc. - and I just put all these producers in my
cocoon.properties?

This sounds very interesting and could solve my problem on the spot. How
do you pass the parameters to the producer, i.e. the data to display? Do
you just pass a URI and the producer opens a stream?

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung