cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cache and performance
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2000 16:41:51 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

> [snip]
> > > About the cache: when is it used? I tested with the Cocoon standard
> > > examples. The HelloWorld example is served from cache but the 'First XSP
> > > Page' example is not! Why?
> >
> > Because it's dynamically generated and it doesn't implement any
> > "hasChanged()" logic that tells the cache system whether or not the page
> > should be cached.
>
> Most of the projects we are working on are so heavily dynamic that this
> would mean almost none of the pages can be fully cached!? :-(

There is nothing really dynamic, everything is "piece-wise static". Even
if you page changes each second (because you have a second timer on top)
but it's requested 10 times per second, you achieve 10x speed by
applying a caching strategy.

Of course, your caching strategy must take less that recreate the page
on average.

> What do you mean with page? The XML-source part not extended by XSP or what?
>
> What are the caching strategy for the XML,XSLT,XSP,SQL parts in Cocoon1
> vs. Cocoon2?!

Exactly the same: we provide the caching architecture, you write your
caching strategy.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.