cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Generating a FrameSet from a XML document
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:52:39 GMT
>On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Alessandro Bottoni wrote:
>
> > [Sorry, if you feel this question is off-topic]
> >
> > I'm starting to design a Cocoon1-based web site and I would like to use
> > frameset with the usual "navigation frame" on the left side, the "main
> > content frame" on the right, maybe a "banner frame" on the top... the
>usual
> > frame-based layout you can see in most web sites.
> >
> > I wonder: how can I generate the frameset and the frames from my XML
> > document?
> > I cannot see any way to generate a new HTML file when I match, let's
>say, a
> > <page></page> tag.
> > (and yes: I have seen how Norman Walsh's DocBook DSSSL perform this
>task. I
> > still cannot understand how to perform it with XML/XSLT and, if
>required,
> > XSP, from within Cocoon).
> >
> > In any case, it should be possible to use a XML "top level" document to
> > generate the framset, put in it the links to other XML documents and
>have
> > them converted to HTML frame-documents on-the-fly, right?

Exactly, simple as this example:

  <frame name="mainFrame" noresize src="dinner.xml" MARGINHEIGHT="0"
MARGINWIDTH="0">

>Is there any
> > problem related with the sequence of request/response events between the
> > client and the server?

No. Cocoon is designed to process multiple requests simultaneously - even if
they reference the same file(s). It synchronizes on cache access and XSP
compilation and loading, so there should be no problem.

--
Robin Green
i-tao Ltd.