cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Diethelm Guallar, Gonzalo" <Gonzalo.Dieth...@sonda.com>
Subject Cocoon, Turbine, duplication of efforts
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2000 18:53:25 GMT
Another innocent question (believe me, I'm not trying
to start a flame war or anything like that).

I have seen how Cocoon recently has incorporated the
Turbine-based DB connection pool. Rather than taking
this functionality off Turbine, I would think, from a
software engineering point of view, that it would make
more sense to place this component at a lower-level
library, available for use to anything that needs it.

In this sense, could Cocoon (or parts of it) be implemented
on top of Turbine? Or maybe could Turbine (or parts of
it) be implemented on top of Cocoon? Maybe the pool
should be moved to Avalon, and have Turbine use it
from there? Maybe I'm just crazy?

On the other hand, maybe the history of how Turbine and
Cocoon were developed explains the duplication in effort?
I'm just trying to understand where every piece fits in
the large picture.

BTW, when I first started looking into Java and the Apache
project, I made a list of all the projects that I found
on the Apache site(s). The list has 30 (yes, thirty!)
different projects. This doesn't make it easy for a beginner
to get their feet wet into the Java waters... Just for your
entertainment, here is the list (compiled two months ago;
some, but not many, of the products listed here may not have
anything to do with Apache):

Jyve
JMeter
Alexandria
JSSI
Ant
Regexp
Xerces
Slide
Xalan
Struts
Turbine
Taglibs
ECS
Watchdog
Village
SPFC
Jetspeed
JBoss
Tomcat
Enhydra
FreeMarker
Xang
Cocoon
FOP
PicoServer
James
Avalon
OpenEJB
JServ

and, of course, the Jakarta project, which is an umbrella for
some of the projects mentioned above... I understand much better
now what each of these is, but it IS a daunting proposition for
a beginner looking for Java-based development tools and
architecture to stare at this list.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any comments.

--
Gonzalo A. Diethelm
gonzalo.diethelm@sonda.com