cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: xsp castor taglib for editing databases via HTML forms
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2000 17:31:28 GMT
On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Gensky Regnus wrote:

> > you need to add the bsf.jar to your CLASSPATH. sorry, i probably ought to
> > have mentioned it. i wrote a simple xalan extension function to generate
> > nice datetime widgets and xalan extension's rely on bsf. bsf is available
> > here:
> >
> > http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/bsf
>
> It works now.

sweet.

> > > Also, is it possible to have the xsp castor taglib Cocoon based rather
> > > than servlet (other than Cocoon) based? If so, how can this be done?
> >
> > uh... the primary portion of the taglib _is_ cocoon-based, obviously. i
> > use a standalone servlet to do the final database commit because cocoon's
> > overhead is not necessary or even desirable for something that simply
> > executes a database command and sends a redirect. i reckon you could
> > rewrite it as a taglib or something, but _i_ can't see any good reason to
> > do so.
>
> I guess I am confused with all the options available for interacting
> with the database.
> I was just wondering what may be the motivations behind using Castor
> instead of the SQL taglib.

um. where to begin... sql taglib is just a stupid little wrapper that
executes sql queries and formats the results as XML. there is nothing
complex or even really interesting about the sql taglib.

castor is a nice library that lets you treat java objects, database rows,
and xml fragments sort of interchangeably. castor eases the task of
editing databases by hiding much of the stupid SQL stuff from you - you
don't have to construct an insert statement when you want to edit an
entity - just create a new object, set a few fields if you want, and then
ask castor to add it to the database.

- donald