cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Pete Farmer <p...@ubivis.org>
Subject Re: Inserting graphics in pdf
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2000 08:02:07 GMT
On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 01:57:57 +0200
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org>
> To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Inserting graphics in pdf
>
> Pete Farmer wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, sudhi wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 14:54:36 -0400
> > > From: sudhi <sudhi@planet.net>
> > > To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
> > > Subject: Inserting graphics in pdf
> > >
> > > Hi All,
> > > Today I was playing around with Cocoon FO. I have a question,
> > > Can I insert images into the pdf file generated ?
> > > If so, How can I do it ?
> > > TIA
> > > Sudhi
> >
> > Are you using DocBook? If so:
> > <figure>
> >  <title>The foo fig</title>
> >  <graphic fileref="foo.gif"></graphic>
> > </figure>
>
> What are you talking about? :)
>
> He's of course using FO, a rendering language, DocBook is a semantic
> language and those SGML tools you are used to work with just don't get
> the picture. And seemed to blind you big time.
>
> The good way is
>
>  DocBook -(xslt)-> FO -+-(FOP)-> PDF
>                        ^
>                     images
>
> _not_
>
>  DocBook -(DSSSL + TeX + whatever)-> PDF
>                             ^
>                          images
>
> Why? Mainly because it makes you understand that you have to "style"
> docbook to do anything (DocBook itself is just marked-up content and
> nothing else).
>
> But since there is only one DocBook DSSSL stylesheet in the world (maybe
> two), you think that something appears "DocBook-ish" because you used
> that markup. Which is awefully limited compared to the power you have
> there.
>
> Since writing XSLT stylesheets (even for FO) is much easier than writing
> DSSSL stylesheets, I expect more than one single DocBook-ish look to
> emerge...
>
> > Now, if you want your .xml doc to output more than one format,
> > you probably want to use more than one type of graphic format.
>
> Oh God, even worse. It's totally nonsense to have the DocBook document
> decide what format it should output given the power we have for image
> handling in both Java and PDF.
>
> > But before I waste _your_ time, since you're just exerimenting, and
> > haven't even mentioned DocBook, I'll wait to hear from you.
>
> Note: no offense, just teasing you a little bit :) (hope not too much)

Hey thanks for your patient and helpful explanation, and sorry if
I've propagated bad infomation on your group. That was my bad, and I'll
resist offering advise on topics I'm not 100% clear on myself in future.
Apologies to those whose time I've wasted.
Thanks,
Pete Farmer
--
   ubi-vis, adv. [volo], where you will, be it where it may, wherever it
   may be, anywhere, everywhere: nemo sit, quin ubivis, quam ibi, ubi