cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ed Staub <est...@silknet.com>
Subject RE: attribute order
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 17:47:42 GMT
Jeremy,

I think the specs are pretty clear that attributes are unordered.  Period.
No exceptions.

However, I think it's folly to expect parsers to be able to read the
reordered output below.
> 		<smil
> 			qt:autoplay="true"
> 			qt:chapter-mode="all"
> 			qt:time-slider="true"

xmlns:qt="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/smilextensions">

I wonder how many get it right.

I wonder if this case was considered by any of the WGs involved.

If you want to pursue it, I suspect you should query/lobby at three levels:
	Xerces	(to change the implementation)
	W3C XSL WG  (to change the XSLT spec to respect document order of
attributes)
	W3C XML Core WG	(to change the Namespace spec to clarify the
requirement for parsers in this case... either they MUST understand the
snippet above or they MUST NOT)

-Ed Staub
Kana Communications Inc.