cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: URL Encoding
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:16:48 GMT
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Donald Ball wrote:
> >
> > <xsl:value-of select="java:java.net.URLEncoder.encode($url)"/>
>
> Looks cool, will XSP become obsolete?

Some believe so. I don't.

XSP are compiled into generators, XSLT with extensions as filters.

True, one could implement a dynamic tag in both, but there are cases
where it's faster to hardcode the dynamic code at generation time
instead of having to parse the generated file and apply the stylesheet.

Some XSLT gurus suggested that XSLT can be translated into generators as
well, thus removing completely the need for XSP.

While I agree with this concept, I don't like how it ends up being.
People think at xslt as filtering, using it as a generator is, IMO, a
big hack and should be avoided.

Also, XSP provide logicsheets and Ricardo is working on a simpler
logicsheet language to allow taglibs to be portable. XSLT 1.1 is
supposed to have extention portability and this might make everything we
do obsolete.

But this might take months to be come a reality and we cannot wait for
that.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.