cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Russell Castagnaro <russ...@synctank.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon 1.7.4. vs BEA WebLogic Server
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:53:37 GMT
FYI-
This configuration doesn't support hot deploying EJB's or XSP as far as I can
tell.
-rrc

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Philip Aston wrote:
> >
> > I've been playing with using Cocoon 1.7.4 in conjunction with BEA
> > WebLogic Server 5.1. (Stefano and folks, feel free to add any or all
> > of this to the installation guide. You might also like to add a
> > success report for MS NT 4.0 SP4, BEA WebLogic Server 5.1 SP3, JDK
> > 1.2.2.)
>
> Will do, thanks.
>
> > WLS 5.1 implements Servlet 2.2. so it plugs in easily. Here's a quick
> > recipe:
> >  - Add the xerces, xalan, fop, servlet, and cocoon JAR files (from the
> >    distribution) to your CLASSPATH. (See below). If you're using Java
> >    2, you should also add the tools.jar file from the JDK distribution
> >    to your CLASSPATH.
> >  - Create a new subdirectory tree of your WLS run time directory
> >    "cocoonwar/WEB-INF" and copy the default web.xml file (from the
> >    src directory of the distribution) there.
> >  - Copy the cocoon.properties from the conf directory of the
> >    distribution to cocoonwar/WEB-INF and updated the web.xml file to
> >    refer to it.
> >  - Copy the samples directory from the distribution to cocoonwar
> >  - Map the web application into the WLS URI name space by adding the
> >    following line to your weblogic.properties file:
> >              weblogic.httpd.webApp.cocoon=cocoonwar
> >
> > Start WLS, point your browser at
> > "http://localhost:7001/cocoon/samples/index.xml" and away you go.
> >
> > Classpaths and XSP:
> >
> >   To support hot deployment of EJB's and Servlets, WebLogic Server
> >   uses its own class loader with its own classpath (the "WebLogic
> >   classpath"). Normally you'd put all the WebLogic Server container
> >   code, JDBC drivers, etc. in your Java CLASSPATH (so that WebLogic
> >   Server can start up) and add all your application code (stuff that
> >   needs to be able to be redeployable) to the WebLogic classpath.
> >
> >   Cocoon is effectively "container" code, and the XSP processor uses
> >   dynamic classloading which only understands the Java CLASSPATH, so
> >   you should put all of the Cocoon jars in CLASSPATH.
> >
> >   The big problem with this is that you can't use any code that loads
> >   from the WebLogic classpath within XSP's. This includes all of the
> >   WebLogic API, so is a PITA. To overcome this, either the way Cocoon
> >   loads classes needs to be modified (Stefano, is this easy?), or the
> >   WebLogic Server class loader needs to be disabled (in which case you
> >   have to be willing to live without hot redeployment).
> >
> >   To disable the WebLogic class loader, put your application classes,
> >   the Cocoon jars and _all_ of the WebLogic Server stuff into the Java
> >   CLASSPATH add -Dweblogic.system.disableWeblogicClassPath=true to the
> >   Java command at the end of you WebLogic start script.
> >
> > - Phil
> >
> > This is not an official BEA response. Please do not send me unrelated
> > WebLogic support questions - I am unable to answer them. Instead
> > please use the BEA developer newsgroups - see
> > http://developer.bea.com, or contact BEA support.

> [...]

Hope to see you at my presentation, "Making the Most of XML, XSL and Server-Side
Processing"
at XML DevCon 2000, June 25-28, 2000.

Russell Castagnaro
Chief Mentor
SyncTank Solutions
http://www.synctank.com

Earth is the cradle of mankind; one does not remain in the cradle forever
-Tsiolkovsky