cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "K.Sridhar Babu" <sb...@noida.hclt.com>
Subject Re: XML-HTML-XHTML-WML-VXML.........**ML
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2000 12:14:05 GMT

Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> "K.Sridhar Babu" wrote:
> >
> >     Using XML the basic advantage we are getting is separation of
> > content from the presentation(hope I am right)? The problem with present
> > html is , it mixes the content and presentation, so we are going for
> > XML.  This reduces the risk of again writting our content in another
> > mark up like wml or vxml or another ML.
>
> This is one advantage of XML, but not the only one. The most important
> thing will IMHO be the fact the XML and its co-standards are, well,
> standards. They will emerge as the communication standard between apps
> and hosts and they will be used as a data format for config files and
> other stuff.
>
> >     My doubt is how we can in that generic manner can separate content
> > from the presentation? Is it possible to use the same content for smalll
> > screen mobile devices, desktop browsers and voice browsers?  What are
> > the challenges in doing this?
>
> There are many challenges, but continually changing the XML is not one
> of them. Ideally the XML remains the same, only the stylesheets (or
> whatever presentation layer you use) change. I'm not sure why you doubt
> that that works? XML was designed to do exactly that.

        For example  one medium to big sized e-commerce site is there, and We
want to publish our content in XML. Is it not that the complexity of XSL is
very high in this case for handling different types of clients? What about the
performance? And also the maximum content size  also varies with different
types of browsers(micro).Considering the pros and cons what is the best
possible solution. Writting the content in XML or in all markups?

    Regards
        Sridhar Babu