cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: XML-HTML-XHTML-WML-VXML.........**ML
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:18:32 GMT
"K.Sridhar Babu" wrote:

>     Using XML the basic advantage we are getting is separation of
> content from the presentation(hope I am right)? The problem with present
> html is , it mixes the content and presentation, so we are going for
> XML.  This reduces the risk of again writting our content in another
> mark up like wml or vxml or another ML.

This is one advantage of XML, but not the only one. The most important
thing will IMHO be the fact the XML and its co-standards are, well,
standards. They will emerge as the communication standard between apps
and hosts and they will be used as a data format for config files and
other stuff.

>     My doubt is how we can in that generic manner can separate content
> from the presentation? Is it possible to use the same content for smalll
> screen mobile devices, desktop browsers and voice browsers?  What are
> the challenges in doing this?

There are many challenges, but continually changing the XML is not one
of them. Ideally the XML remains the same, only the stylesheets (or
whatever presentation layer you use) change. I'm not sure why you doubt
that that works? XML was designed to do exactly that.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung