cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Neeme Praks" <ne...@one.lv>
Subject RE: XSP: used with XML or XSL (or both)?
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:43:38 GMT

<snip/>

> XSL is also XML, so from the point of view of the XSP
> processor it is the
> same thing. The processing order depends on the order of the
> processing
> instructions at the top of the files. So you can have many cases, for
> example:
>
> 1. run XSP processor on XML file, resulting in new/changed XML
> 2. transform this XML with a XSLT stylesheet
> 3. send resulting HTML back to browser
>
> or
>
> 1. run XSP processor on XML file, resulting in new/changed XML
> 2. send this XML to a XSLT stylesheet
> 3. In stylesheet add/change XML via XSP

A much as I have understood, this is not possible. Why? Because
stylesheets are applied by Xalan and they are not processed by Cocoon.
XSP, however, is a Cocoon thing and Xalan doesn't do anything with
cocoon specific processing instructions...

So you can use XSP only in the actual file requested because that is
processed by Cocoon.

I would also love to see the possibility to produce stylesheets with
XSP...

> 4. send new/changed XML to another XSLT stylesheet
> 5. in this stylesheet transform XML to XSL:FO
> 6. send XSL:FO to fop, generating a PDF
> 7. send PDF back to browser
>
> So, basically, you can do what you want :)

Neeme