cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Yann" <ylelo...@ims.ltd.uk>
Subject Re: How to improve performance? C++? compile XSL?
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:01:34 GMT
> > Don't blame me ;-) ... but what is hotspot?!
>
> A compiler that runs in the background and compiles Java Bytecode into
> OS-native binary code, when it has nothing else to do. I believe it
> started to appear from JDK1.3 on.

Actually HotSpot 1.0 has been available for jdk1.2 for a while. HotSpot 2.0
beta server is available as a separate download while the jdk1.3 has got the
HotSpot client technology built in.

It's an adaptive compiler and natively compile portions of code that are
executed very often and that act like hot spots.
You need to let it run for a while until you see some noticeable effect. Use
JMeter against your servlet to view when HotSpot starts using compiled code.
Response time is much faster.

Yann.