cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Diethelm Guallar, Gonzalo" <Gonzalo.Dieth...@sonda.com>
Subject EJB and Apache/Jakarta/etc
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2000 00:23:45 GMT
I know this is not the right forum, but I'm interested
in what you people might have to say about this.

The project I have been working on selected IBM WebSphere
as its base infrastructure. The tool seems good, though a
tad expensive. Anyway, when I started looking for something
that made a reality of the much mentioned separation
between content and presentation, I realized WebSphere
did not have anything that provided such separation. Indeed,
after some research, I found that Cocoon is the most
advanced implementation of technologies that achieve
this separation (go Cocoon!). Together with this, came
the realization that actually what we are using from
WebSphere is a very tiny portion, and that we could
(probably; this is not proven fact yet) move our whole
architecture to JServ/Tomcat, Cocoon, etc., all freely
available tools (I'm all for it, but I hope management
doesn't get in the way). So, I decided to research a bit
further and come up with a comparison of WebSphere (or
WebLogic, for that matter) and whatever components
running on top of Apache (such as JServ and Cocoon).
It seems that ALL we have done on WebSphere could be
implemented on these OpenSource tools, with one (possible)
exception: EJBs. We are not really using EJBs at this
point (and maybe we never will), but that still begs
the question: is it possible to write EJBs on the OpenSource
world of JServ+friends?

Sorry if this took so long, but I wanted to provide a
little context on where I'm coming from. Any wisdom is
greatly appreciated. Thanks,

--
Gonzalo A. Diethelm
gonzalo.diethelm@sonda.com