cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Edwin Glaser <ed...@pannenleiter.de>
Subject Re: URL Encoding
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:55:32 GMT
Sorry for the delay.

> But just as I believe that XSP should not be used to write dynamic
> turing-complete filters (XSLT+extentions is there for this), XSLT should
> not be used to write generators (XSP is there for this).

Yeah, of cause it is!

But have a look at the whole thing. Today we embed xml into an
object oriented control flow. It reminds one very mutch of the old
days when object oriented designs were implemented in C.

We just don't have a turing-complete full-featured programming
language for the xml way of thinking. And case tools are beyond the
horizon. No doubt, the Cocoon processor chain is the best way to
deal with this situation.

But in my opinion you are not allowed to stop evolution by calling
further steps a "big hack". Ulrich saw the hack and said "Looks cool".
May be, he is the one, who finds a way to make it practical.

"make a technology do something it was not designed for" is at least
a way to find the design - do you have a better way?

Btw. Once upon a time your sig said something like "A language that
doesn't change the way you think about programming isn't worth
learning". Is my memory wrong? What happened to this project?

--
Edwin Glaser -- edwin@pannenleiter.de