cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: sql tag-library
Date Thu, 11 May 2000 00:08:52 GMT
On Wed, 10 May 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Donald Ball wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 9 May 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > > While I like XInclude/XPath/XPointer/XLink capabilities very much, I'm
> > > still not confident about those who get scared about it. And I know many
> > > of them (all apache people that are not subscribed to this list).
> > >
> > > The XML world is a colorful one, but palettes are shifted.
> > >
> > > In the back on my mind, though, I feel dangers in the XPointer design
> > > patterns. I don't know why... but I can't remove this feeling from my
> > > head... puzzling...
> >
> > Can you elaborate? Cumbersome, I might grant you, but dangerous?
>
> "Dangerous" is a pattern that becomes mainstream misapplied.
>
> For example, the NCSA httpd server mapped http:// uris to file system
> files. Simple and easy solution for web serving static content in a
> world where web content was 99% static in most cases.

 ... snnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppp ...

> I'm not afraid of the use of this technology, but of its abuse.... but I
> guess this could be said for the whole XML model.
>
> Sorry for be so "blurry", but I still don't have all the dangers
> visualized in my mind...

The whole situation seems to boil down to one essential tradeoff. You
either replicate data or centralize data. Replication means you have to
change n files when you want to change the data. Centralization means you
have to change n files when you want to change the location of the data.
Hopefully you move the data less frequently than you change it, so
centralization is generally a win, especially if you choose the location
carefully from the beginning.

- donald