cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: sql tag-library
Date Mon, 08 May 2000 17:52:44 GMT
On Mon, 8 May 2000, Michele Bianchi wrote:

> ::: i send it again cos i didn't see it in the ml.
>
> i'm wondering about 2 ideas on the sql tag-library.  the first to
> specify the driver name in the config file (or smth like that) so it
> could be really easy to change the dbms.  the second one to have a
> choice specify a dbconnection or the dburl.  the db connection it's a
> really expensive operation it seems imho to create a global var and
> reuse it.  please tell me if it is stupid, cos i'm new in servlet
> programming.

Brian Millett has been working on adding Turbine's database connection
pooling to the SQL taglib. We've been having some back and forth regarding
namespace changes, etc., but I do hope it'll be into CVS soon in some
form. The essential problem is thus:

I had initially decided that it was silly to provide an inheritance
function specifically for the SQL taglib since a generic XML inheritance
mechanism would be more comprehensive. Unfortunately, no one has stepped
up to bat to write an XInclude processor for cocoon, nor does Xerces
support it directly, which I'd hoped would be the case sooner or later. I
agree, writing database connection information repeatedly is foolish; but
you don't want to write it once in each file, but have to write it in each
of your files; you want that information stored in _one_ place and _one_
place only. XInclude gets you that, but the SQLProcessor's inheritance
methods (and Brian's revisitation of them for the SQL taglib) don't.

But of course, that doesn't address the here and now. In the absence of a
generic inclusion mechanism, I guess I'll have to buckle down and work on
integrating the connection pooling code.

- donald