cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: What is supported in Cocoon 1.x and no longer supported in 2.0
Date Tue, 02 May 2000 03:38:11 GMT
On Tue, 2 May 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Rather than this, _everything_ else should work for you without changes
> if you used XML + XSLT + XSP. No changes whatsoever.
>
> This is the beauty of XSP that hides the output from you.
>
> This means that if your XSP worked with Cocoon 1.x, the _exact_same_ XSP
> will work with Cocoon 2.0, modulo cocoon-xxx PIs.
>
> Impossible, you say? You don't use the DOM in your XSP pages. You don't
> even have access to the output stream, or to the output method in
> general. This is the main difference between XSP and JSP and this is why
> they rock: Cocoon 2.0 will "recompile" your XSP as "cocoon 2.x
> generators" rather than "cocoon 1.x producers".

Er, what are you talking about? Certainly I use the DOM in writing my XSP
taglibs. Yes, we can use the DOM2SAX adapter classes (or JDOM as a middle
layer if it turns out it makes things like namespace mapping for XML
fragments simpler), but it's not optimal. In any case, I _do_ use the DOM
in my XSP libraries - true, not from the XSP pages themselves generally,
but it's disenguous to claim that there's no DOM in XSP since we've been
encouraging people to keep the bulk of their code out of the XSP pages
themselves and in a normal library instead.

- donald