cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Corey Krehel" <co...@wellengaged.com>
Subject RE: Anyone using XMLForm?
Date Fri, 26 May 2000 17:54:51 GMT
We are working on a site which will require a large amount of work with
forms.
Where can I find more information about XMLForm?

Corey Krehel
Web Development
Prospero Technologies
415.339.7000 x211
corey@wellengaged.com
www.prosperotechnologies.com

-----Original Message-----
From: ulim [mailto:ulim]On Behalf Of Ulrich Mayring
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 2:52 AM
To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Anyone using XMLForm?

svenk@Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE wrote:

> Encoding: In order to support german "umlauts" in data.xml from the
> sample I changed the encoding in the xml-pi to Latin1. When I first edit
> the file using XMLForm, this works fine. However, after the
> adding/editing process, the encoding is set back to UTF-8 but the
> characters are not converted properly. In consequence, Xerces chockes on
> illegal characters on this file.

You can quick'n'dirty hack it by adding after line 166 the line:

format.setEncoding("ISO-8859-1"); // or whatever encoding you want

> Thus, it would be nice if XMLForm remembers the original encoding type.
> Or even better, there would be something like xmlform:encoding.

Yes, but that is a bit more complex to implement. You can get the
current encoding by adding these two lines after line 89:

InputSource inpSrc = new InputSource(filename);
String encoding = inpSrc.getEncoding();

Then you can later write format.setEncoding(encoding);

This works, but you must be aware of two special cases:

a) in the case of type="html" what encoding do we write? (currently:
none)
b) what encoding do we assume if there is none specified?

So, all in all, it was getting a little too hairy for me. I'll just
hard-code ISO-8859-1, because my XMLForm application doesn't need
anything else.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring