cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Steven Maring <Steven.Mar...@trcinc.com>
Subject RE: Newbie in trouble
Date Tue, 09 May 2000 18:20:28 GMT
Hmm.  How can you apply this concept to enable the operation of Cocoon.xml?

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Green [mailto:greenrd@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 3:10 PM
To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Newbie in trouble

Echoes <echoes@free.fr> wrote:

>2) when accessing samples/index.xml, I get the following
>error :
>
>Publishing Engine could not be initialized.
>
>          java.lang.NullPointerException
>                  at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.init(Cocoon.java:135)

Sorry, the installation instructions in the 1.7.3 distro were out of date.
(same goes for the xml.apace.org website!)

With a Servlet 2.2 compatible runner such as Tomcat, you have to ensure that

cocoon.properties is inside your Tomcat context(s) which are using Cocoon,
and the address for the cocoon.properties in the web.xml file must be
relative to the context root (and should start with a / even though it is
relative).

For example, in server.xml one of the contexts I have is

        <Context path="/fyp" docBase="/home/ufs1/12/greenrd/fyp/public"
         debug="1"
         reloadable="true" />

In web.xml I have

<servlet>
<servlet-name>org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon</servlet-class>
<init-param>
  <param-name>properties</param-name>
  <param-value>
    /WEB-INF/cocoon.properties
  </param-value>
</init-param>
</servlet>

and the cocoon.properties is located at
/home/ufs1/12/greenrd/fyp/public/WEB-INF/cocoon.properties

WEB-INF is a good place to put it because it is a hidden directory - Tomcat
won't serve anything in there.

The installation instructions have already been corrected in CVS, so they
will be correct in the next release hopefully.