cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mike Engelhart <mengelh...@earthtrip.com>
Subject Re: external entities
Date Wed, 17 May 2000 21:34:47 GMT
> Do you want the bad news, or the bad news?
>
> You need to declare them as entities in your XML DTD, eg:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
> <!DOCTYPE rootelement [
> <!ENTITY auml "&#228;">
> ]>
>
> Then when you do &auml; in your document...
>
> <rootelement>
> &auml;
> </rootelement>
>
> ... it'll get parsed and end up as a unicode character for
> the rest of its journey through cocoon. *Hopefully*, at the
> other end, the serializer will convert it into an HTML entity.
> I'm pretty sure Cocoon1.x does this already, and I've just
> posted a patch to make Cocoon2 do it.

Well, it's certainly bad news. I just tried what you suggested and no go.
But, my situation may be more complex than the average page.
I have XSP pages which pass information to an stylesheet that uses Xalan
extensions to grab values out of PropertyResourceBundles for localization.
The properties document has things like this:

_ADDITIONAL_DETAILS=Zus&auml;tzliche Details

I get the data out of the ResourceBundle by calling getString() on the
correct resourceBundle which returns say "Zus&auml;tzliche Details". Do you
think that has something to do with it?

Mike