cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mike Engelhart <mengelh...@earthtrip.com>
Subject Re: Multiple (human) language support
Date Wed, 17 May 2000 15:06:21 GMT
on 5/17/00 6:35 AM, Michele Bianchi at mic@exsense.com wrote:

> On 16 May 2000, Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
>
>> does anybody incidentally have some Cocoon-based site that delivers
>> pages in the language determined by HTTP content negotiation and can
>> publish some source code for that?
>
> i haven't, but i'm interested about that.  i'm plannig smth and i have no
> probs
> to leave it open.

I do this for my whole site but my site doesn't have huge chunks of text
content so I don't need to put stuff into a database which would be slow to
access.  Anyway, I use java.util.ResourceBundle objects to store all my
localized information and then use the simple Xalan extensions to handle the
on-the-fly translation into whatever language the browser is set to and I
have supported (default is English).

I attempted an all XML version using key/map in XSL but it's not even close
to being ready for prime time.  The current XSL (or maybe it's just xalan)
spec doesn't support i18n well at all.  If you're only switching between say
2 languages it may work but if you want to support 10 or 20 languages,
you'll have to wait until another version which supports it better is
available.

Mike