cocoon-users mailing list archives

From William Bryant <willy...@concentric.net>
Subject Cocoon 1.7.3 Upgrade micro-mini-HOWTO
Date Sun, 07 May 2000 06:13:27 GMT
Cocoon 1.7.3 Upgrade micro-mini-HOWTO

-----------------
This is designed for upgrading from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3 using the zip file
distribution on a Linux machine running JServ.  There may be additional
issues if you are using an earlier version of Cocoon.  Things will also be
different for Windows, non-JServ, and RPM installs.  (You can check out
Murray Todd Williams' RPMs at http://grapeape.codingapes.com/xml.xml).

I'll assume you having a working installation and have already downloaded
Cocoon-1.7.3.tar.gz from somewhere like http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/.

------------------
Having been crisped a few times, I'm fairly cautious about upgrades.  My
previous version of Cocoon was installed in
/usr/local/cocoon-1.7.2/.  Since I wanted to retain my previous install,
just in case, I copied Cocoon-1.7.3.tar.gz into /usr/local/ and re-hydrated
it in the usual way:

     gunzip Cocoon-1_7_3_tar.gz
     tar -xvf Cocoon-1_7_3_tar

Once that's done, a couple of changes are in order.

Make a back up of your current cocoon.properties file.  I used the
imaginative name cocoon.properties.1.7.2.  Replace it with the one in
/your/path/to/cocoon-1.7.3/conf/.

One change a lot of people made to their cocoon.properties is to set an
absolute path for the XSP processor.  Look for the line

     processor.xsp.repository = ./repository

and replace it with the equivalent one from your old cocoon.properties, if
necessary.

The other change is to the aptly named JServ configuration file:
jserv.conf.  In my setup, the jar classpaths looked like this:

     wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/cocoon-1.7.2/bin/cocoon.jar
     wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/cocoon-1.7.2/lib/fop_0_12_1.jar
     wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/cocoon-1.7.2/lib/xylan_1_0_0.jar
     wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/cocoon-1.7.2/lib/xerces_1_0_3.jar

The new ones are -- not surprisingly:

     wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/cocoon-1.7.3/bin/cocoon.jar
     wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/cocoon-1.7.3/lib/fop_0_12_1.jar
     wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/cocoon-1.7.3/lib/xylan_1_0_1.jar
     wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/cocoon-1.7.3/lib/xerces_1_0_3.jar

In addition to the paths, make sure you have the correct versions of the
jar files.  In my case, the xylan_1_0_0.jar line had to be changed to
xylan_1_0_1.jar.  Depending on your install there may be other changes as well.

---------------
Testing:

Start (or restart) JServ and check the status by pulling up Cocoon.xml in
your browser.  It should say Cocoon 1.7.3 in the upper right.

Once you are certain the new version is working well, you can remove the
old 1.7.2 files.  (Being the belt-and-suspenders type, I'll rename the
directory and run Cocoon for a little while before I actually delete it.)

---------------
Troubleshooting:

If you get a message like:

     Publishing Engine could not be initialized.

     java.lang.RuntimeException: Error creating
     org.apache.cocoon.formatter.VRMLFormatter: class is not found

You need to make sure you replaced the old cocoon.properties file with the
new one.

Hopefully this document has a brief, but useful life before it is made
obsolete by Cocoon 2.0.  Feedback is appreciated.  Send it to
pink5432@freelinuxmail.com

Tested configuration is RedHat Linux 6.1, Apache 1.3, Apache JServ 1.1, IBM
JDK 1.1.8