cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ian Abbott <i...@cinesite.co.uk>
Subject Re: "Proper" Way to Generate Formatted HTML
Date Thu, 25 May 2000 08:50:17 GMT
on 5/24/00 11:37 PM, Paul Derbyshire at derbyshire@globalserve.net
wrote:
> Secure PDF files were invented by Adobe so that elitists could put
> information in a PDF file and then *restrict peoples' access to it*, and
> are diametrically against the Internet ideal of bringing information to
> people's fingers when they want it, for free (ignoring their connectivity
> costs that is). They are for people who want to *charge money* for mere
> *access to information*. They are a tool of repression. Shun "secure PDF".

That is so ridiculously paranoid and elitist in itself. For example, we
need secure PDF so that we can transmit confidential status reports over
an SSL extranet to our clients. Are you suggesting that we should have
our accounts and bidding requests open to the Internet as some kind of
free for all?

Ian