cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: reading binary columns with SQLProcessor
Date Fri, 19 May 2000 11:39:11 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> you want to use the new column formatting stuff in the xsp sql taglib. you
> can provide your own special subclass of java.text.Format that will do
> this special case transformation and have it applied to this column.

It sounded like a great idea at first, but then I got second thoughts.
The way I solved it is, I converted the four bytes to an IP number in
SQL. I think fiddling with binary columns should be done in the database
itself, not in the VM or even on the client. That is the only way to
guarantee platform-independency of sorts - think about little Endian and
big Endian, different encodings etc.  If I do it in the database, then I
don't care where the VM runs, what language it is programmed in, what
the client is like and so on. The drawback is that now I can't port my
database, so YMMV ;-)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring