cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ray Allis <...@bcstec.ca.boeing.com>
Subject Re: "Publishing engine could not be initialized"
Date Fri, 12 May 2000 21:23:24 GMT
> Neeraj Singh wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >      Has anybody tried Tomcat3.1 with Cocoon1.7.3? .
> >      Now after starting Tomcat and pointing to
> > http://localhost:8080/cocoon.xml i get 'Publishing engine could not be
> > initialized' error. The detail mentions java.lang.NullPointerException.

Found it!  BTW, many or most of the text files (e.g. cocoon.properties)
are riddled with control-M DOS end of line characters.  I spent some
hours
removing those without success.  This sort of thing ruins PERL scripts,
for example, and both Sun and Lutris (Enhydra) have had to rebuild their
distributions for non-Windows systems.

But the actual solution was in an earlier email:

> Robin Green (greenrd@hotmail.com) wrote:
>
> This is probably the change to the method of cocoon.properties specifying
> introduced in 1.7.3. If WebLogic 5.1 implements the Servlet 2.1 API or
> higher, you need to specify the location of cocoon.properties as relative to
> your context root, not as an absolute path.

Indeed.  So, in /jakarta-tomcat/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF I have:

-rw-r--r--   1 ray      staff      12510 May 12 13:24 cocoon.properties
-rw-r--r--   1 ray      staff        853 May 12 14:01 web.xml

and web.xml has:

  <init-param>
   <param-name>properties</param-name>
   <param-value>WEB-INF/cocoon.properties</param-value>
  </init-param>

I just quickly ran through the samples.  Great Stuff!

Ray Allis