cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 1.7.3 with JRun 2.3.3 Specific Problem
Date Wed, 10 May 2000 12:42:16 GMT
Dafang Zhang wrote:

> JRun 2.3.3 does not support ServletContext.getResource().  Thus, JRun 2.3.3
> users need to modify the Cocoon.java to use file-based approach, instead of
> resource-based, in order for Cocoon-1.7.3 to correctly read in
> cocoon.properties file.  Otherwise, you get "Publishing engine could not be
> initialized." message with exception throwed.

Oh gee, you mean that JRun 2.3.3 indicates itself as a 2.1 compatible
Servlet Engine and then doesn't support getResource()?

No comment.

> Should we have a choice somehow, without code change?

It's a pain in the ass to maintain a servlet that is portable across
servlet engines, it's even worse if they "illegally" claim to be
compliant when they aren't.

What are we supposed to do? check if the servlet engine is JRun and
disable that? and what about weblogic, servletexec, websphere,
paperclips and everyone that has servlet hooks?

I'm _really_ frustrated by all this, expecially when we provide Tomcat
that works on every possible web server, it's stable and, more
important, it's free and open source.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions on how to make this work if people need
it.

> While dealing with this problem, another question is why "Unable to open
> resource: ..." message, which is in the inner catch block, is not show up?

This is a bug and it was recently fixed in the CVS.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.