cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "K.C. Jones" <kjo...@phoenix-pop.com>
Subject Re: HTML to XHTML
Date Mon, 01 May 2000 17:58:08 GMT
Beware of relying too heavily on Tidy for HTML->XHTML
conversion.  It does the simple things well, like attribute
case conversion, quoting attribute values, "<br>" to
"<br/>",...  Don't be deceived.  In my limited testing I
found some gaping holes in the conversion.

In particular:
- It won't handle javascript code correctly
- It brutalizes overlapped tags

The script handling could be done as a second pass filter.
But the overlapped tags would have to be fixed before Tidy
mangles them.

I found those problems quickly based on spot testing with
some HTML I had lying around.  I don't know if anyone has
done any comprehensive testing of the conversion.  Does
anyone know of any FAQs or other documentation of Tidy's
XHTML conversion tool?

Just in case you haven't seen this, consult:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs
when evaluating your XHTML conversion needs.

Cheers,
KC Jones