cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Paul Derbyshire <derbysh...@globalserve.net>
Subject Re: Severe Xalan documentation errors.
Date Tue, 23 May 2000 22:22:30 GMT
At 11:09 PM 5/23/00 +0100, you wrote:
>You have a space in your classpath.

Really? It causes no problems in the environment variable.

>You need to find some way to escape the spaces in the classpath.

If it's a file name with a space in it, I can replace it with the short
"foo~1" type name it's using. And then reboot slowly and laboriously. And
probably find a *new* problem.

>*Please* check *very* carefully what you're doing before you come
>to the list to ask questions?

I did, and I verified that I had done *exactly* what the other person had
suggested: that I add ";%CLASSPATH%" exactly as quoted to the class path
option and do nothing else. The person offering the solution evidently did
not consider the corner case that the class path contains a space. His
recommended solution was incomplete, and therefore incorrect. If you are
right and that is the *only* problem, then the correct solution is:

1. Add ;%CLASSPATH% to the -classpath command line parameter in the batch
file.
2. Change the CLASSPATH environment variable in autoexec.bat, local.rc, or
wherever it is defined on your system, to remove all spaces. (On unix,
escape the spaces with \; on Windows, replace filenames and directory names
with spaces with their short versions with the numeric tails, e.g. PROGRAM
FILES becomes PROGRA~1.)
3. Reboot slowly and laboriously; to amuse yourself while the computer is
rebooting, watch The Phantom Menace for the seventieth time. When the movie
ends, the reboot should be almost finished. Fill the remaining time with a
coffee, a Coke, or a snack.
4. Try to compile again.
5. When it fails with yet another obscure problem, get *REALLY* pissed. :-)

 Certainly making statements such as