cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Paul Derbyshire <derbysh...@globalserve.net>
Subject Re: Mystery NullPointerException with standalone usage.
Date Mon, 22 May 2000 20:11:27 GMT
At 08:29 PM 5/22/00 +0100, you wrote:
>On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 02:56:47PM -0400, Paul Derbyshire wrote:
>> >Attachment Converted: "c:\program files\eudora\attach\commandline.patch"
>> This fixes the command line problems? I assume the usage is to apply the
>> patch and then recompile Cocoon. And I assume the documentation on Cocoon
>> explains how to recompile Cocoon. The remainign question is, of course, how
>> do I apply the patch?
>
>Heh. Always a problem...
>
>   ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/win32/i386/patch.zip
>
>Try that on for size.

The GNU tools. I suspected those might do it. But I was unsure.
Nonetheless, that is not enough information.
I now know *with what* I should apply the patch, and I'd already suspected
the answer. I still don't know *how*. Undoubtedly there is documentation
with that program (and undoubtedly it is in that crufty info format for
which only crufty browsers can apparently be found), explaining the general
usage. But I don't know how exactly to make it install the patch on the
*correct* source file, given that the directory of the source file on my
machine (C:\Cocoon-1.7.4\src\something) is undoubtedly not that where the
patch was created (could've been E:\Cocoon\src\something, or
\usr\local\cocoon-1.7.4\src\something, or heaven only knows what). Indeed,
I took the liberty of inspecting the patch file in a programmer's editor --
it is human-readable and I even can figure out what it's doing (changing an
if condition in the Engine class, so it correctly handles the problem,
which was obviously that "context" was neither null nor a ServletContext, a
corner case it wasn't handling before), and it seems to
contain a relative path to the source file instead of an absolute one. I
guess I need to tell patch where to base this path -- C:\Cocoon-1.7.4\ by
the look of it...
--
   .*.  "Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not
-()  <  circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a