cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Install problem: Cocoon 1.7.3 with Orion 1.0rc1
Date Sat, 13 May 2000 10:25:20 GMT
"Dan North" <dan@wirestation.com> wrote:
>I'm getting the following error from Orion with the hello-page.xml example:
>
>java.lang.NullPointerException
>	at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.init(Cocoon.java:135)
>	(the rest of the errors are internal JAX stuff)

In version 1.7.3, your path to the cocoon.properties file must be relative
to the webserver context root if you are using a servlet 2.1 API or higher
compatible servlet runner.

>It seems from the code (Cocoon.java:135) that the Configurations object is
>not
>being created.  There's a try block with a catch that sets an error message
>but doesn't re-throw the exception, so the null object gets dereferenced a
>few
>lines later.  However, I'm a newbie to Java so there is a high probability
>am talking rubbish.

No, that's correct! It's a bug (missing return statement) which has been
fixed in CVS. But the bug is just that it gives the wrong error message. You
still need to set the path of cocoon.properties as described above.

>I have RTFM so now I'm asking you guys!

Yes, unfortunately although the FAQ has been updated, the FAQ in the distro
and on the website still doesn't show the correct answer to this question.

--
Robin