cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Yann" <ylelo...@ims.ltd.uk>
Subject Re: Wanna laugh?
Date Wed, 03 May 2000 10:50:43 GMT

> read this
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2555159,00.html
>
> > What amazes me the most is that open source has gained so much
> > momentum without showing any goods. It's a dot-com.all hype and
> > speculation and no fundamentals. It's like an onion in a bushel
> > of apples. Someone might notice that it looks and tastes different,
> > but peel away its layers, and there's nothing there.
>
> Some people simply aren't smart enough to get it.

Well, you know, some columnists are such attention-seekers...

But let me tell you that I am just about to install my first Cocoon-powered
web-app on a production server. It took me 3 week to write it: 1 to play
with Cocoon and installation issues, 1 to write XSP pages and some Java
business objects using JBuilder Foundation 3.5, finally 1 to design the look
and feel, learning about XSL and dealing with cosmetic things.

And it's there, my internal users can't wait to use it, I don't have to
spend time installing stuff on people's PCs and I can patch my code whenever
I want. The web-app deals with user session and security, does some database
update and retrieves some resultsets.

3 weeks from not having used Cocoon nor the Apache server!!!

And it's not even like I was a servlet-guru. I knew the concepts and was
proficient in Java, that's all.

Basically, it all happened because Cocoon is a damned clever framework.
People were also very helpful on the list. The guy who wrote this article is
just trying to sound clever but doesn't have a grasp on reality.

Yann.